The FreeWave Fusion Mini is a universal data collection and transmission device. It is equipped with industry-leading satellite and cellular technologies providing global connectivity and reliability without compromising battery life. The built-in Bluetooth host enables the automatic aggregation of data from dozens of nearby sensors.
When using the embedded Swarm Satellite modem, the Fusion Mini can be used almost anywhere on earth. To make things easy, the Swarm Satellite fees are included in the annual Data Platform subscription cost. Options range from simple OEM Data Broker message routing through to full dashboard and analytics. Using the Fusion Mini could not be easier, simply deploy the unit and data will flow.
Swarm provides affordable satellite connectivity for IoT applications, particularly in remote regions that lack reliable access to the Internet. The geographic range of satellites is much greater than traditional terrestrial networks. Satellite is also a highly reliable method of data transfer since - unlike terrestrial networks - it cannot be knocked out by weather events or man-made accidents. For IoT devices operating in rural or remote areas, Swarm cuts satellite data costs by up to 20x, while ensuring that devices will stay connected everywhere at all times.
Things to Note
- In cold climates under 0 C / 32 F, lithium batteries have decreased performance and will discharge quicker than normal
- In cold climates under 0 C / 32 F, lithium batteries will not charge when the solar panel receives sunlight. This is due to a restriction imposed by the battery manufacturer. In cold climates, charging a battery in cold weather can lead to lithium metal plating forming on the anode of the Fusion Mini leading to a potential battery short and failure
- In snowy conditions, the panel can get covered in snow and the Fusion Mini will not charge. The snow covering the panel must either be removed manually or wait for ambient temperatures to rise to melt the snow. There is research being conducted on special coatings for the solar panel to reduce/eliminate snow build-up. You can view more here: https://news.umich.edu/spray-on-coating-could-make-solar-panels-snow-resistant/
- While the standard Fusion Mini is battery power with solar charging, there are options available for either external battery support or mains power support for colder climates.
- If the Fusion Mini is configured for external battery support, then that is its permanent state. It cannot be used as a standard Fusion Mini with a Lithium battery.
- Should you wish to discuss external battery support or mains power adapters, please contact FreeWave Support.
|Model Reference||Fusion Mini LTE (CAT-M)||Fusion Mini Satellite (Swarm)|
|Cellular Communications||Global LTE-M (CAT-M1/NB1)
Bands: 1*, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 18, 19,
20, 25, 26*, 28 (* roaming bands)
|Satellite Communications||n/a||SWARM TILE01
137-138MHz Downlink / 148-150MHz Uplink
|Processors & Memory||Arm® Cortex®-M4
NOR Memory IC 32Mb, SPI - Quad I/O
NOR Memory IC 32Mb, SPI - Quad I/O
|Onboard Sensors||GPS, Power|
|GPS Module||Sierra Wireless XM1210, TCXO. GPS+Glonass, GPS+BeiDou, GPS+Galileo.
Signal used for both position information and accurate time sync for data records.
|Charge Circuit & Battery||Tracking onboard battery voltage, along with the status output of onboard solar charging circuit in order to give a clear indication of how well the internal battery is charging|
|External RS485 Sensor Inputs||Fault-protected Half duplex RS422, RS485 Transceiver
12VDC Supply, 2kV Isolation, 470μF Max Capacitive Load
|Bluetooth Host||U-BLOX NINA B3, v5.0 (Bluetooth low energy) nRF52840|
|Power Supply||Built-in 6000mAH Li-polymer Battery
Charging Voltage: 4.2V, Rated Voltage: 3.7V, UVLO at 3.4V
|Solar Panel||Epoxy encapsulated Monocrystaline, 9W Nominal output|
|DC Input & Charging||18~30VDC, 2A Max Current,
MPPT Charger (19.4Vmp),
Optional 12v DC Battery Input
|Antenna - Cellular||Female SMA, Multiband Whip Antenna||n/a|
|Antenna - Satellite||n/a||Female SMA, Swarm Antenna|
|Antenna - GPS||Female SMA, GPS/GNSS Whip Antenna|
|Antenna - Bluetooth||Female SMA, Bluetooth Whip Antenna|
|RS485 Sensor Input||2 x IP68 Circular Connector Sockets, 4-Position (vcc, gnd, data+, data-)|
|DC Input||IP68 Circular Connector Socket, paired with solar panel cable|
|Assembly Flat (L x W x H)||330x260x70mm (without antenna), 545x260x70mm (with antenna)|
|Assembly at 45deg (L x W x H)||330x250x255mm (without antenna), 465x250x255mm (with antenna)|
|Weight (full assembly + antenna)||2.0kg excluding packaging|
|Operating / Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C / -40°C to 85°C|